As more San Antonians and neighbors in our region remain at home under shelter-in-place orders, VIA plans to implement temporary service adjustments that reflect current ridership demand for bus service.
While VIA ridership has declined during the past several weeks, we remain committed to providing essential service for riders who rely on public transportation to get to work, obtain food and supplies, or help care for others. We will continue to expand our cleaning program, using EPA-approved, hospital-grade disinfectant, for vehicles and facilities, while taking additional steps to help protect employees and customers.
TEMPORARY SERVICE ADJUSTMENTS EFFECTIVE APRIL 6, 2020
To continue providing travel options while adjusting to changing conditions, VIA will implement the following temporary service adjustments, beginning Monday, April 6, 2020, to include some reduced service hours and routes.
- Under the adjusted schedules, all VIA bus routes will be on “Saturday” schedules Monday-Friday.
- Routes will run their regular weekend schedules on Saturdays and Sundays.
- VIAtrans and VIA Link will continue to operate normally.
- Express Routes 6, 7, and 48 will run on the adjusted schedule.
- Routes 4, 97, and 616 will have minor changes
- Routes 16 and 65 will not operate due to Joint Base San Antonio restrictions.
- Routes 30, 36, 42, and 515 will no longer serve the extended segments of the routes.
- VIVA Routes 11, 40 and 301 will not operate.
These adjustments will remain in effect until further notice.
FARE RELIEF PERIOD EXTENDED THROUGH APRIL 30, 2020
On March 21, VIA implemented a fare relief period to protect our operators and customers from close physical proximity while we are encouraging social distancing and help support many community members who use our services to perform essential tasks and duties. We are extending this period for VIA bus, VIAtrans and VIA Link services through April 30. Only essential trips, outlined in the “Stay Home, Work Safe” order should be made during this time.
SOME SEATS REMOVED OR LOCKED FOR SAFER DISTANCING
Riders may also notice some seats on buses and vans are closed to help keep a safe distance between operators and passengers, in accordance with social distancing guidelines. Passengers are asked to find a seat behind this section and maintain at least 6 feet of space between themselves and the person next to them whenever possible.
Updates on VIA’s response to COVID-19 and related service alerts are posted regularly to VIAinfo.net/covid-19. Customers can plan bus trips on the VIA goMobile app or on Google by entering a trip date starting April 6. For assistance planning trips, call our customer care line at (210) 362-2020.