Imagine Where We Can Go.
VIA has reimagined mobility in San Antonio and you’re part of the plan. We’re delivering a Better Bus System with Smart Transit Solutions while designing an Advanced Rapid Transit Network so the people you love can spend more time doing the things they love. Imagine that. Stay informed and get involved here. Come back regularly for important updates and announcements.
More time being there and less time getting there.
VIA has a plan. We call it VIA Reimagined. The idea builds on strategies that have already increased ridership through higher frequency on bus routes, more than 1,000 new and improved bus shelters, and free mobile apps that make it easier to get around.
DOING MORE OF WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.
Better Bus System
Robust systemwide improvements to the bus network:
- More frequent, reliable transit across the entire network
- Improved frequency on Metro Local and Metro Frequent routes
- More Prímo priority bus routes
- Safe routes to transit
Advanced Rapid Transit Network
Network of corridors connecting the region’s major community destinations and employment centers:
- Advanced Rapid Transit in dedicated lanes
- Metro Express in High-Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes connecting Park & Ride service to key destinations
Investments to keep the system smart and flexible:
- VIA Link on-demand transit service from your smart phone
- Fresh new mobile apps to buy passes and plan your trip
- Partnerships with emerging mobility innovation companies
We’re not waiting, we’re going.
The core of VIA Reimagined is a Better Bus System with shorter waits and more frequent arrivals to support a network of seven Advanced Rapid Transit Lines (ART). The ART network will use high-capacity vehicles to move more people in protected lanes, outside of regular traffic and congestion. That means more reliable VIA service and fewer cars in your way if you choose to drive.
VIA Reimagined CREATES:
- More mobility choices
- Better reliability
- Advanced technology
- Economic growth
- Improved air quality and public health
What is “Advanced Rapid Transit?”
Fast and Reliable Service
- Dedicated lanes and signal priority
- Real-time travel information
- Moves more. Stops less. Faster trips.
- Provides certainty on how long your trip will take now and in the future
- Platform is level with bus for quick boarding
- Pay your fare prior to boarding
- Board from any door, not just front
- Spacious and comfortable interiors
- Enhanced stations along the Rapid Transit Corridor
- Larger, more modern vehicles can comfortably accommodate more passengers
- Latest energy-efficient technologies
What does the VIA Reimagined Plan do for you?
Getting there on time.
More frequent bus service, an Advanced Rapid Transit network, and innovative transit solutions provide faster, easier connections to the things you love. Imagine that.
Multiple choices and they’re all right.
With more options you have the freedom to decide how you will get where you need to go. Early projections show a 74-percent increase in VIA ridership with an Advanced Rapid Transit Network. That means even if you don’t take public transit, your commute will be faster with fewer cars in traffic. Imagine that.
An Advanced Rapid Transit Network is estimated to have 140,000 passenger trips per day.
Of those trips, 84,000 will be made by people switching from driving to transit.
Navigate your future, not traffic.
VIA Reimagined means increased access to jobs and education. It means reduced congestion and travel times, and new opportunities for development. Imagine that.
IN 2040, THE RAPID TRANSIT NETWORK WILL BE WITHIN A 10-MINUTE WALK OF 251,000 RESIDENTS, 275,000 JOBS, AND REACH 2,800 AFFORABLE HOUSING UNITS.
Clearer skies with a view toward a brighter future.
Less traffic congestion will cut carbon dioxide emissions by 202 million pounds per year. That means better public health and fewer air quality-related health problems. Imagine that.
THE RAPID TRANSIT NETWORK WILL REDUCE DAILY VEHICLE MILES TRAVELED (VMT) BY OVER 623,000 MILES.
THAT’S EQUIVALENT TO DRIVING AROUND THE WORLD 25 TIMES.
When opportunity knocks, you’ll be there to answer.
A bold new transit plan requires a strong commitment to invest in our future. Over the past 20 years, the transit agencies in Dallas and Houston each have collected approximately $5 billion more than VIA. Acting today ensures VIA is strong and ready for tomorrow. Imagine that.
Texas Transit Agency Sales Tax Revenue, 1999-2018
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.
Based on the VIA Vision 2040 planning process and community input from our partner organizations, the City of San Antonio and Bexar County, The VIA Reimagined Initiative is a result of hundreds of community meetings and gatherings across our region. Over the next several months, we’ll be reaching out to tell you more about VIA Reimagined, and importantly, listen to you. In the meantime, we invite you to sign up for the VIA Reimagined e-newsletter to keep track of our progress and get important updates.