VIA riders can now get real-time bus arrival information delivered to their cell phones, computers or other mobile devices. Just text JOIN and then your 5-digit bus stop number to 52020, and you will receive a return message with the time your bus is expected to arrive at that stop.
HOW TO GET INFO
- TEXT JOIN to 52020 (message and data rates may apply)
- TEXT your 5-digit bus stop number to 52020 to get estimated bus arrival times for that stop (one reply per request, message and data rates may apply).
- You can also send an email to NextBus@viainfo.net with your bus stop number in the subject field.
- If you include a specific route number after the bus stop number, you will receive arrival times for that route only.
- Text 47647 for the next arrivals at San Pedro & Myrtle
- Text 47647 3 for only the next Route 3 arrivals at San Pedro & Myrtle
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Every VIA bus is equipped with a GPS device that tells our system where that bus is at all times. Within a few seconds of sending your message, you should receive a response message that will show the times for the next buses arriving at that bus stop.
When a bus reaches a bus stop timepoint we can determine whether that bus is on time, ahead of schedule or behind schedule. We call this our schedule adherence. That information is then used along with the last known position of the bus to predict when that bus will arrive at another stop down the road.
You should still arrive at your stop at least 5 minutes before the estimated arrival time, and check the next bus arrivals more than once to make sure the vehicle isn’t running faster or slower than when you last checked.