Shorter wait times, new service for the New Year
SAN ANTONIO (Jan. 2, 2018) — VIA Metropolitan Transit will implement several service adjustments beginning Monday, Jan. 8, 2018 to increase frequency on key routes, reduce wait times, and provide faster connections for VIA customers in the New Year. These adjustments also include two new routes from VIA’s Stone Oak Park & Ride.
• 2 Blanco – Service modified to remove segment on Loop 1604 from Blanco to Huebner.
• 6 U.S. 281 Express – Service modified to operate every 30 minutes 5:30 a.m.–9:15 a.m., and 3:15 p.m.–7:15 p.m., Monday through Friday. Midday service will not be available.
• 7 Stone Oak/Downtown Express – New express service will operate every 30 minutes between the new Stone Oak Park & Ride and downtown. The route will operate 5:45 a.m.–9:15 a.m., and 3:30 p.m.–6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. NOTE: This route will be on detours beginning January 8 due to continued construction at Stone Oak Park & Ride, and it will serve the Walmart at Loop 1604 & U.S. 281 only.
• 40 VIVA missions – Route will be extended to serve Mission Espada. NOTE: This route will be on detours beginning January 8 due to bridge construction along the route, and it will not serve Mission Espada until the bridge is complete.
• 503 Huebner – New service will operate every 30-60 minutes 5 a.m.–11:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, between the new Stone Oak Park & Ride and the Medical Center Transit Center. NOTE: This route will be on detours beginning January 8 due to continued construction at Stone Oak Park & Ride, and it will turnaround at Huebner & Stone Oak Parkway.
The following routes will be improved to operate every 30 minutes, 6 a.m.–6 p.m. on weekdays: 502, 602, 607, 611, 613, 615, 616, 617, and 618.
The following routes will be improved to operate every 12 minutes, from 6 a.m.–6 p.m. on weekdays: 20 and 26.
The following routes will have minor schedule adjustments: 2, 66, 68, 77, 522, 603, 604, 605, 606, 609, 612, 614, and 619.
The following new route pairs will also go into effect: 20-26, 66-68, 502-602, 604-606, 607-618, and 612-614.
New pocket schedules are available at VIAinfo.net. Printed pocket schedules will be available at all VIA information centers and on buses. To see how these changes may affect your travel, use the online Personal Trip Planner up to 14 days in advance and enter a trip date later than Jan. 8, 2018. For additional information on the service changes, customers may call (210) 362-2020. Customers also may plan trips, and purchase fares and passes with the new VIA goMobile app. Passengers will simply show their phone screen to the operator when boarding. The free app is available on Apple and Android smartphones. Visit VIAinfo.net/goMobile for more information.
About VIA Metropolitan Transit
VIA provides regional multimodal transportation options that connect our community to opportunity, support economic vitality, and enhance quality of life throughout our region. VIA, recognized by the Texas Transit Association in 2016 as the outstanding Metro Transit Authority of the year, serves 14 member cities and the unincorporated areas of Bexar County, operating seven days a week on 90 routes. Last year, VIA provided 40 million rides across the region. VIA’s AAA bond rating reflects the organization’s sound management and financial practices. Visit VIAinfo.net for more information. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
CONTACT: Lorraine Pulido, Ph.D.