Vehicles and Transit Centers are being disinfected throughout the day
In response to recent health concerns surrounding the spread of respiratory illnesses, VIA is taking extra precautions to ensure that vehicles and facilities are kept safe and clean for public use. While there have been no cases of COVID-19 (formerly known as coronavirus) linked to transit use in our region, and federal health officials maintain that the risk to the general public for contracting the virus remains low, protecting our passengers and employees is our top priority.
We are in close contact with local, state, and national health authorities to monitor the situation and will provide updates as they become available. Out of an abundance of caution and care for our community, we have increased our standard, daily cleaning of buses, vans and facilities to include additional and more detailed disinfecting of restrooms, facilities, surfaces and seats.
VIA has a rigorous cleaning program in place for our more than 500 buses and 140 vans, as well as our many Park & Ride facilities, transit centers, and office buildings. This daily process includes:
- Every bus and van is cleaned and disinfected daily at the end of its run.
- Transit Centers and Park & Ride facilities are cleaned daily, including floors, surfaces, handles, handrails, and other high-touch areas.
- Restrooms are cleaned at least 3 times a day.
- We use cleanser that sanitizes and disinfects surfaces, including seats, stations and rails on all vehicles and facilities.
- The cleanser is formulated to kill germs that can cause illness.
- VIA offices, customer service areas, Transit Centers and Park & Ride facilities are equipped with public hand sanitizing stations and operators are provided hand sanitizer to use between washing.
- Helpful information about proper hand-washing techniques are posted throughout our offices and facilities, and on our web site.
Beginning Thursday, March 5, we activated enhanced health and safety protocols to include all standard procedures listed above in addition to:
- More frequent and detailed cleaning of buses and vans—including additional mid-day cleanings, and on-site spot cleanings at transit centers and other facilities.
- Additional staffing dedicated to maintaining enhanced health and safety procedures.
- Requiring compliance from our partners (MV Transportation and Yellow Cab) to implement enhanced cleaning protocols.
VIA continues to encourage passengers to follow these simple, effective tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using an approved cleaning spray or wipe
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
- Passengers who feel sick or are experiencing symptoms should stay home, avoid public places, and contact your physician.