Temporary service adjustments begin Monday when VIA routes move to “Saturday” schedules, with some reduced hours and routes.
Riders should only make essential trips during this time, and observe the city’s “Stay Home, Work Safe” order that requires residents in the area to shelter in place and help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) and practice social distancing in public.
VIA will continue to run essential service for those who must travel for work at an exempted business or operation, obtain food and supplies, or help care for others. Maintain space aboard the bus whenever possible. See below for ways VIA is helping with social distancing.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Here is a detailed list of changes that will go into effect April 6, 2020 and will continue until further notice.
- Monday-Friday: All VIA Routes will be on Saturday Schedule with exceptions listed below.
- Saturday-Sunday: VIA Routes will run on regular weekend schedules.
|VIAtrans||Will operate as normal|
|VIA Link||Will operate as normal|
|Sky Harbour/Kel-Lac||Will not serve the Trader’s Village extension|
|JBSA Express||Will not operate due to Joint Base San Antonio restrictions|
|JBSA Express -Lackland/USO||Will not operate due to Joint Base San Antonio restrictions|
|VIVA culture||Will not operate|
|VIVA missions||Will not operate|
|VIVA centro||Will not operate|
- Please note key route information below:
|San Pedro Frequent||Will not serve the extension to Blossom *|
|Rigsby||Will not serve the China Grove, St. Hedwig extension *|
|South Presa||Will not serve the Elmendorf extension *|
|Roosevelt||Will not serve the TJ Maxx and Losoya extensions *|
|West Avenue||Will not serve the Talavera Ridge extension|
|Southcross||Will not travel along Walters Street to serve St. Philips College and Fort Sam Houston *|
• Some stops may be served by other routes. A list of affected stops and routes is available here.
• View MAPS of all routes extensions that will not be served temporarily.
Customers can plan bus trips on the VIA goMobile app or on VIA’s Trip Planner powered by Google by entering a trip date starting April 6. For assistance planning trips, call our VIA Go Line at (210) 362-2020.
TIPS FOR PLANNING YOUR TRIP, BEGINNING MONDAY, APRIL 6
- CHECK YOUR STOP. Riders who travel on routes 4, 30, 36, 42, 97, 515, and 616, should check if their usual Monday-Friday stop is in the “extension” portion of the route (listed above). Route maps will indicate which area is part of the extension that will not be served after April 6. Some stops in these areas will continue to be served by other routes. SEE SEARCHABLE LIST HERE. If you have a question or need help planning your trip, call the VIA Go Line at (210) 362-2020.
- POCKET SCHEDULES ARE HELPFUL. Accurate information about Saturday service is included in your pocket schedules, often on the back of the brochure. Printed pocket schedules are available at transit centers, customer service centers, and Park & Ride facilities. You can also visit VIAinfo.net to use our online trip planner, download the free VIA goMobile app, or call our VIA Go Line for help planning your trip.
- USE VIA’S NEXT-BUS INFORMATION. Text your Bus Stop ID Number to 52020 to get up-to-date bus information. The Next-Bus information will let you know if your bus will service that specific bus stop.
- NO FARES NEEDED. No fares will be collected through April 30 for VIA bus, VIAtrans and VIA Link services. This is one of the ways we’re helping with social distancing. Customers don’t have to stop or touch the fare box or crowd the door when boarding. After boarding, passengers should quickly and safely take an available seat.
- SKIP A SEAT. Seats near the front of the bus have been removed or restricted by locking them in their closed positions or marking them with a sign to help create a safer distance for passengers and operators. Most buses are already carrying fewer passengers as more people stay home. To help with social distancing, seats throughout the bus have been removed, covered or marked with signs asking passengers to leave some space by finding the next available seat. Persons with disabilities, or riding with a walker or wheelchair, can ask the operator for assistance finding a seat.
- STAY INFORMED. Updates on VIA’s response to COVID-19 and related service alerts are posted regularly to VIAinfo.net/covid-19.