Essential Service Routes, health and safety measures will continue
As local and state officials revise their orders related to the COVID-19 pandemic, VIA Metropolitan Transit is adjusting to the updates by extending its fare relief period through Sunday, May 17, 2020. Fare collection will be reinstated on Monday, May 18.
Prior to reintroducing fare collection, customer information and ticket windows will reopen. Fares for VIA bus, VIAtrans and VIA Link service have been suspended since March 21, 2020, to help reduce crowding near the farebox when boarding.
The following health and safety measures will remain in place until further notice:
- VIA will continue to require all non-exempt passengers age 10 and older to wear a face covering while on board a vehicle or at a VIA facility, where proper social distancing (6 feet apart) may not be possible. Staff and operators must also continue to wear a face covering while working or while at a VIA facility.
- VIA will continue to maintain a “safe capacity” maximum load of 16 passengers at a time to promote social distancing and protect everyone on board. All passengers must be seated and exit through the rear door.
- VIA will continue to operate its Essential Service Schedule that went into effect April 27, which adjusts bus routes and hours, moving several routes to a “Sunday” schedule and adding frequency to others that continue to see high ridership. For a detailed schedule list, please visit VIAinfo.net/routes.
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting procedures will continue for VIA buses, vans and facilities, including mid-day and overnight cleaning to ensure a safe space for customers and operators.
- Temperature checks for all VIA employees entering a VIA facility will continue to ensure that staff members are healthy when interacting with the public.
VIA will continue to take these extra steps and monitor developments, along with recommendations from local, state and federal health officials, to determine if additional measures are needed. To learn more about what VIA is doing to keep customers and employees safe, please visit VIAinfor.net/covid-19.