Moving people. That’s what we do.
For over 40 years, VIA Metropolitan Transit has kept San Antonio moving when it matters most.
Today, as our community rallies to support each other through the COVID-19 crisis, VIA is providing essential service for people who need to get to work, to get groceries and supplies, and get back home again safely. We’re here for you.
During this time of change and uncertainty, we’re staying focused on what matters most: your health and safety. When COVID-19 hit, we acted quickly to put important measures in place for our customers and employees.
We’ll continue doing all we can, including keeping the following procedures in place:
- Cleaning and disinfecting buses, vans and facilities throughout the day, in addition to our regular nightly cleaning
- Extending fare-relief period through May 31, for faster, safer boarding
- Requiring employees and customers wear face coverings and providing one to passengers if needed
- Promoting a safe capacity limit on buses and vans to help with social distancing
- Putting more buses on busiest routes and adjusting schedules to maintain essential service
- Protecting operators and other frontline employees with additional safety measures and protective equipment
In the days and months ahead, VIA will continue to connect workers to jobs, students to training and consumers to goods and services to help speed our economic and social recovery. And while this crisis has magnified the challenges we faced before COVID-19, it has also put into sharper focus how VIA service is a lifeline for thousands of San Antonians, now more than ever.
As we all adjust to a “new normal,” we still believe putting opportunity within everyone’s reach is the key to uplifting a community. That’s why we’ll keep fighting for the support and funding to deliver the service you want, need and deserve. And while we plan for tomorrow, we’re taking account of the many things we can be grateful for today.
We’re thankful to all frontline workers, including our own VIA team — the bus and van operators, maintenance crews, police officers, customer care representatives and many others whose dedication throughout this COVID-19 season shows the true heart of public service. You have always been essential.
Thanks also to our customers who have helped slow the spread of COVID-19 by limiting travel and following safety guidelines. You’re doing your part to help protect VIA customers and employees. Let’s keep it going.
Thank you, San Antonio, for being a city that rallies for its neighbors. You are our inspiration and it is our privilege to serve you.
Jeffrey C. Arndt
President and Chief Executive Officer
VIA Metropolitan Transit